Monday, July 23, 2007

Works


I've been thinking about what people call acts of kindness or good works. A lot of times these things are simple little things like helping an older woman across the street, holding the door open for someone. Just small gestures. I like to do little things like this. Usually I try to do them without people noticing or making a big deal about it. I don't know why, but I really don't like people noticing me when I do these things.

This summer at Falls Creek I've always been picking up trash at random times while I walk around the grounds. It is not really an obsession like some people have been saying, but its sort of a conviction I have (I could write a whole blog about that, so we'll talk about it this other time). During about week 3, one of my supervisors noticed I was picking up trash as I was walking to dinner. He made sure everyone knew about it and everyone else behind me started picking up trash as well. He gave me a hard time about it for awhile. Then I helped out in the cafeteria a little bit this last week and this other boy would not stop teasing me about it. I told him that I was hoping he didn't notice.

Once he said something about how I wasn't going to get my crown in heaven now for that act, it really made me think about my intentions while doing my acts of kindness. I can't say that I ever do these things for attention or recognition; however, I can't say that I really do think, "I'm doing this for God's glory". I actually tend to be motivated by my compassion or love of others. So what I've been wondering lately is if my motivation is not what it should be. Am I still doing these small things for God if I am not explicitly thinking of him? When a person is motivated to do things due to compassion for others are they still doing these things for God by loving people?? or are these actions somewhat selfish by nature? So I guess what I'm wondering is if we are bringing God glory in our actions even if they are not oozing with religious implications. I know Jesus would heal people's physical detriments, but wouldn't he also use those as teaching tools? Is this entry just a selfish way of showing that i'm a good person or am I trying to point my discussion and thoughts toward God? Could you ever reach a conclusion about this discussion? I don't know....Just my thoughts.
-Kristy

3 comments:

Trent said...

Kristy, don't stop pickin' up trash. Do what is right, because it is right.

Thanks for all of that. When I see you do stuff like that it helps me.

Roxie said...

No, no. no. Kristy--your motives ARE pleasing to God. You'll get this one day when you are a mom, but the quickest way to my heart is to do something nice for my kids. Don't you think God is the same way?

Dr Hook said...

Kristy you should always be in church. The preacher just might use your blog as a sermon illustration. This was a really NICE and KIND story; just like you.
Blessings,