Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Nature


Have you ever had one of those times where you just sat in wonder and awe. I've had these moments when I desperately wanted to be more poetic so I could describe the scene, feelings, and sensations that were being experienced. Kind of like in Contact when Jodie Foster is staring at this spectacular display of the universe and as she's trying to describe it for her records she starts crying saying how they should have sent a poet not a scientist.

I had one of those moments last night. I got to just sit around and listen to three guys (of very different ages and had never met) improvising and trying to play some music. Once they became accustomed to each other, they played very well together and I just couldn't help but smile. And then I would close my eyes so i could just concentrate on the music and nothing else around it. I had a similar experience around this time last year in a little town in Arkansas named Mountain View. It was this extremely picturesque place with a typical small town charm. Downtown the local people all gathered around and started playing some folk music. My friend and I would just walk around the square, listening to different groups of people playing. Music like this always puts me into one of those awestruck moments.

This morning I woke up and felt like my senses had been enhanced; everything looker more vivid and my sense of touch was very alert. I just woke up looking outside my window, thinking how beautiful it was. Then during the closing of our morning meeting as a prayer was being said, the wind started blowing just enough to move hair around in the breeze. As I was sitting there with my eyes closed with my hair moving, I just had this consuming feeling of how wonderful life is. After the prayer I headed up to this wooded area which I was assigned to watch for campers. One of my friends and I were just talking about silly stuff in the woods and then i laid down on the rocks we had been sitting on. I was just staring at the clear blue sky, the beautiful green trees, and just listening to the hymn that was being sung in the amphitheater behind me. I felt like this is how God planned for our lives to be. In moments like this, I believe we can experience God in some of the purest forms. I can't really say that I was specifically thinking of God, but I know He was there. I always feel this way when I'm around nature. Its beauty overwhelms me. The purity and simplicity of it all always speaks to me. I wonder if that is how Adam and Eve felt in the garden of Eden. I am just glad I got the opportunity to meet my creator this morning and just drink in His creations. And the exciting thing about God is how this can and will happen all the time.

-Kristy

1 comment:

Trent said...

yes, I was there and I was also impressed.

It seems to me that music, art, love, poetry, all help confirm the loving nature of God for me more than any essay or sermon could. I think when I am enjoying such things, "Thank you God for letting me enjoy this."