Thursday, February 14, 2008

Hate

Hate takes a lot of energy. Maybe that's why we are told not to hate. I have always hated a certain holiday. I feel compelled to explain myself every time someone asks me why. Explaining that you don't like a day supposedly about love due to the commercialization and unimaginative ways its celebrated takes quite a while to convince them there is no bitterness rooted in that hate. In some ways I wonder if I'm being like the little kid that makes it a little too obvious that he "hates" the girl he in actuality likes quite a bit.

I am a hopeless romantic and have been for quite awhile, but I've developed a hard shell to possibly stop all of the hurt I've acquired being overly romantic. Today I decided I'm going to get rid of that hardened cynical shell and just have fun. Life is about experiences and sometimes those are getting hurt. And sometimes that hurt comes from letting someone close, but keeping people at a distance isn't the way to live. Just something I decided this morning. No more energy devoted toward a cultural phenomenon I can't stop. Just going to do what I deem appropriate. That's about it. May we all have the courage to do something we have avoided to keep us from hurt.

-Kristy

No comments: