Saturday, September 29, 2007

My Sooners and My Christians....

Well, I was born an OU fan and not only an OU fan, an OU football fan! I was actually conceived while my parents were going to OU med school so I was literally sooner born and started attending football games at the age of 2 months. Today was a hard day for my Sooners. After the strange and unexpected call reversal in a crucial moment during the game, I was brought back to the OU v Oregon game day of last year. A lot of Sooner fans were upset and many were called sore losers when even trying to talk about the game. (Sorry Roxie and an any other non-sport savvy people if you are lost in all of this, it will hopefully all mean something to you at the end) Our loss against Oregon was a little emotionally draining for me but I knew it wasn't the end. I kept telling myself to look back at the game. We were cocky and started to believe we didn't need to play as hard toward the end of the game. We gave up a touchdown to Oregon without a fight the play before the critical moment. If we had not allowed that touchdown, we never would have lost. I think the same logic should be applied to this game. My attitude is that the Sooners should be able to play at the degree which never would have put us in this position and have such an advantage mentally and physically in the game where we will still win even if a call does not go in our favor. We should be solid. And our defense in this game was not solid and they were exhausted. If we caught the two dropped balls in the first drive and held onto the three or four very possible interceptions, we would never have been in this situation.

I had too much frustration after we lost, so I ran for a bit. I was telling myself basically what the paragraph says above and then I had a thought. This is very much like our charge as Christians to live above reproach. I've never liked this charge. I always felt like it was too often used to tell me what I can and can not do so people may not think badly of me, but think how much easier our lives could be if we did live above reproach. We wouldn't have all of the gossip going around at church because nothing could be talked about. I don't know if this is making sense to anyone yet. I tell myself that the Sooners just should have done better early and then they would have won, yet I get mad when people don't think very well of me due to some impression they got from one of my actions. Making sense yet? I don't know. While I know people will judge and probably assume the worst most of the time, wouldn't it make our lives easier if we played the first half right so we wouldn't be in loosing situations later? So I guess what I'm telling my Sooners and my Christians reading this (and MOSTLY myself) is when life makes the wrong calls (at least from your perspective) or you loose face, make sure to look at yourself and evaluate what you can do better for next week not getting bitter about things that are over and were never in your control. And for my sake..............I just hope Coach Venables keeps his defense aggressive, but realizes when your blitz is not being effective and allowing 15 yards passes to open receives maybe we should reassess the situation!!!!!


-Kristy


ps sorry if all of the sports lingo went over some heads!!!!

No comments: