Monday, July 7, 2008

Abstract becomes reality

I've already written about death a couple of times now. Generally when I hear/think of the concept of death, I try to convince myself I have a good grasp on the natural cycle of life and do not have have any form of the various death anxieties discussed in my philosophy class. On my drive to Falls Creek, I got a phone call from a girl from I live with at camp informing me of a death of a fellow staff member. I think I have a rather stoic response to death. I still keep thinking of this boy that is no longer with us. I keep remembering his wonderful smile and the white beanie his wore. I can't say I knew him too well. I was excited he was transferring to OU and he was amazing in jungle pong. He will greatly be missed. Don't have much else to say. I'll be thinking and praying for his family in the next days, weeks, and years to come. May we all be mindful of how precious and limited our lives are.

-Kristy

2 comments:

rachelle claire said...

I'm actually in the middle of an essay for my composition class about children and their coping with death. We've read various authors' views on death in the textbook, so it's been on my mind a little bit lately. It can be strange to think about.

Anonymous said...

there is no correct response in grief. we all bring our own understandings and beliefs and backgrounds into it. as a christian there is a point where it is a good thing BUT continued useless lamenting can be self-limiting and selfish. "DEATH SHOULD NOT DEFINE US, OUR LIVING DOES" my quote. do yo like it? Lov you and praying for you, mom