Friday, January 11, 2008

a little STYX's philosopohy

As I was driving my 189 mile distance from my childhood home to my dorm room, I was growing bored and then sleepy so I carefully pulled a random cd out of my case. I placed the cd into my player to discover it was my copy of my father's Styx greatest hits cd. I grew up listening to this cd along with madonna, montley cru, zz top, and a little patsy cline to change things up. I was loudly proving to my car I still knew every word, but then I hit a slower song and I stopped. I started thinking about what they actually singing about. (Most of the rock I listen has a very blunt and shallow message, but I like the instrumentation and style so I've never cared too much.)
Anyway... I was realizing how deep some of the lyrics were and thought provoking. I was especially mesmerized by the lyrics of "Show me the way". I've always thought this song was pretty and liked the lyrics, but this time while listening, I truly felt the emotions of the song. Here's the first verse and chorus.

" Every night I say a prayer in the hope that theres a heaven
And every day I'm more confused as the saints turn into sinners
All the heroes and legends I knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay
And I feel this empty place inside so afraid that Ive lost my faith

Show me the way, show me the way
Take me tonight to the river
And wash my illusions away
Show me the way"

I think this song in many ways is about growing up, facing facts, and transitioning from the black and white issues of childhood and diving into the grey and unknown parts of life and the human condition. The common thought is of college being the transitional period in life, but I wonder of the truth in that. Sure we are gaining new roles of social and personal obligations, but after college are we really done changing? I should think not. During my 5 semesters thus far, I have certainly faced challenges and issues that have matured me. I have also been vexing and contemplating over defining my personal values and morals during this time.

At the end of the day, wouldn't it be easier as the song asks for to just be "shown the way" and have "illusions washed away". It would save many an emotional day and lessen confusion, but isn't that the greatness of life--making mistakes, learning, living, and going on. I once read a book about dating that my mother insisted I read after I had completed reading the whole "I dated kissed dating goodbye" fadish book, and while I don't remember much of the book or even the title, one point I apply universally has stayed with me and I have found to be a rather good life lesson. The synopsis is even though that situation or long event hurt emotionally doesn't mean it was bad. It was saying that the result of sadness, doesn't prove the forerunning event was necessarily bad. Obviously, this should not be applied to all situations, but it makes me think about sadness and hurting in a different light.
Maybe I am a little strange by having a STYX song start a philosophical adventure, but I think it was a good reminder. I have been getting frustrated with all of the unknowns surrounding my life, feeling like once I have things lined out life will be good. May we all remember to not fall into the temptation of sitting back and waiting for things to be perfect; we will end up missing out on life and the beautiful chaos loosing knitting our lives together.

-Kristy

2 comments:

dixie said...

JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER BOOK THAT I AM GOING TO FORCE YOU TO READ WHEN YOU GET OLDER. IT IS KINDA THE ANIT-I KISSSED DATING GOODBYE BOOK. IT IS WRITTEN BY A 30 SOMETHING CHRISTIAN WOMAN AND SHE TITLED IT "Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?" SOUNDS INTERESTING. HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT DAY. LOV AND PRAYERS, MOM

Roxie said...

Well, well, well...Welcome to adulthood, baby girl! :-) You are so right. It's the crazy mix of good and bad that makes up a life. Accepting that is hard, hard work, but well worth it. Well put, Kristy!